I got inked today.
And now you have images of a tattoo in your head, don't you? You are wondering what sort of a design I got and where?
But what if it is a different kind of ink, a different tattoo? Not a permanent one, but one which I get to renew every five years? A tattoo that bears testimony to the fact that I am a responsible citizen of my country?
The next one is a deserter who won by the force of his promises and his dharnas, but did not have the spine to make good on his promises once he was rewarded for his fasts and penance like the rishis of Indian lore.
Instead he wasted that power for 49 days, holding dharnas even after winning rather than using his power to do good as he should have and then when the weight on his head was too much for his muffler clad neck to bear, he chose to run from the responsibility that came with the power, resigning due to lack of support from other parties and in the process, became the butt of the nation's jokes. Yet, he did not give up.Had he shown the same tenacity while in power, I might have considered him, but as it now stands, he's nothing but a weakling with the intention to do good, who screwed up.Badly.I will be wrong to say that he did nothing good, for he did his best to raise the voice of the people by giving them access to information, but his efforts were not sustained and hence, failed. Tell me, why should I vote a man to power when he is a quitter, who gave up when the night was at its darkest, choosing not to fight on till dawn? How can he be trusted to not do the same should he be voted to power at the center? And the peace-lover that he is, what if he decides to donate some of the country's beautiful valleys for the to wolf next door to hunt in rather than fighting to defend what is rightfully his? This man proved to me, beyond any doubt, that he is unworthy of my trust.
And the last is a chai-walla, a man of his own making who came into power in the state 13 years ago, and has been in power ever since, proving his mettle by the power of his actions, galvanizing the the state government into making process simpler and more effective and bringing the state to a level that no one would've imagined thirteen years ago. I do not deny that there are grey areas in his tenure as the head of the state government, but hey, if members of the so-called oppressed community still live in the state, and not just live but prosper then doesn't it speak for itself ? This man has proven to me that he is deserving of the trust and power invested in him and is capable of bringing the nation back on its feet, no matter what his personal faults may be. But more than anything else, he's made good on the 13 years of power in the state and has proven to me that he deserves a shot at leading the country. He deserves the chance to make good on his promises to the nation. And he's made me believe that he is the leader that this seething mass of humanity known as India seeks to bring it at par with the world. Unlike the boy-man, he has a voice and thoughts of his own which he is not afraid to show to the world and unlike the deserter, I can trust him to not give up when the times get tough and to not sell out on his country.
And so, my vote went to him
Though I hope for his sake and mine that he makes good on his promises to the nation. For if he doesn't then he shall not be given another chance to prove himself. In fact, that might just prompt me to give governance a shot myself.
Till tomorrow, folks!
And now you have images of a tattoo in your head, don't you? You are wondering what sort of a design I got and where?
But what if it is a different kind of ink, a different tattoo? Not a permanent one, but one which I get to renew every five years? A tattoo that bears testimony to the fact that I am a responsible citizen of my country?
Yes, I voted today. And I felt like I was a part of something greater than myself; a part of a populace which was creating history, moving forward and yet rooted in time; it was a feeling of belonging, not unlike the one I experienced as an NCC cadet in school, a feeling of doing my own little bit for my country.
For the past few months I've been promised things by all the contesting fronts. I've heard them all out. I've compared and contrasted, weighed the pro's and con's and come to a decision that is all mine.
Many would say I took the decision without thinking, just out of loyalty for my state. But then, pray tell me, why shouldn't I?
Here is my logic which led to my choice. You may differ or agree with the same, but, my decision is my own, as it should be.
I considered only two main contestants in this game, with the third being an attention seeking pest who kept hovering in my field of vision and hence is included here.
On one side stands a boy-man contesting from a constituency that has been with his family since the last 34 years. He comes from a family that has brought both glory and ruin to this country, but his promises are as empty as his brain. He is, but a parrot, the voice of his mother and of the voice-less leader of his party, who is but a puppet on his mother's strings. While I respect the Iron Lady and Chachaji, I wonder if the Father did right in investing his faith and the country's reins in the hands of a family that has brought nothing but ruin and a foreign daughter-in-law to this great land. And do tell me, ye with the rising hackles, if the boy-man could not bring prosperity to a constituency that has been voting him and his family to power for the last 34 years, if his party and his mother's puppet could do nothing to bring prosperity to the people who trusted in the them and voted them to power at the center for the last 10 years, why should I vote them to power? They had 10 years to prove their merit, but they couldn't. It is time for someone else to be given the chance, because, more than anything else, what we need now is a leader with a voice of reason which will be heard and respected across the world, a visionary with the power to unite this great nation to build on his visions till they become reality and the country is once again a power to be reckoned with.
For the past few months I've been promised things by all the contesting fronts. I've heard them all out. I've compared and contrasted, weighed the pro's and con's and come to a decision that is all mine.
Many would say I took the decision without thinking, just out of loyalty for my state. But then, pray tell me, why shouldn't I?
Here is my logic which led to my choice. You may differ or agree with the same, but, my decision is my own, as it should be.
I considered only two main contestants in this game, with the third being an attention seeking pest who kept hovering in my field of vision and hence is included here.
On one side stands a boy-man contesting from a constituency that has been with his family since the last 34 years. He comes from a family that has brought both glory and ruin to this country, but his promises are as empty as his brain. He is, but a parrot, the voice of his mother and of the voice-less leader of his party, who is but a puppet on his mother's strings. While I respect the Iron Lady and Chachaji, I wonder if the Father did right in investing his faith and the country's reins in the hands of a family that has brought nothing but ruin and a foreign daughter-in-law to this great land. And do tell me, ye with the rising hackles, if the boy-man could not bring prosperity to a constituency that has been voting him and his family to power for the last 34 years, if his party and his mother's puppet could do nothing to bring prosperity to the people who trusted in the them and voted them to power at the center for the last 10 years, why should I vote them to power? They had 10 years to prove their merit, but they couldn't. It is time for someone else to be given the chance, because, more than anything else, what we need now is a leader with a voice of reason which will be heard and respected across the world, a visionary with the power to unite this great nation to build on his visions till they become reality and the country is once again a power to be reckoned with.
The next one is a deserter who won by the force of his promises and his dharnas, but did not have the spine to make good on his promises once he was rewarded for his fasts and penance like the rishis of Indian lore.
Instead he wasted that power for 49 days, holding dharnas even after winning rather than using his power to do good as he should have and then when the weight on his head was too much for his muffler clad neck to bear, he chose to run from the responsibility that came with the power, resigning due to lack of support from other parties and in the process, became the butt of the nation's jokes. Yet, he did not give up.Had he shown the same tenacity while in power, I might have considered him, but as it now stands, he's nothing but a weakling with the intention to do good, who screwed up.Badly.I will be wrong to say that he did nothing good, for he did his best to raise the voice of the people by giving them access to information, but his efforts were not sustained and hence, failed. Tell me, why should I vote a man to power when he is a quitter, who gave up when the night was at its darkest, choosing not to fight on till dawn? How can he be trusted to not do the same should he be voted to power at the center? And the peace-lover that he is, what if he decides to donate some of the country's beautiful valleys for the to wolf next door to hunt in rather than fighting to defend what is rightfully his? This man proved to me, beyond any doubt, that he is unworthy of my trust.
And the last is a chai-walla, a man of his own making who came into power in the state 13 years ago, and has been in power ever since, proving his mettle by the power of his actions, galvanizing the the state government into making process simpler and more effective and bringing the state to a level that no one would've imagined thirteen years ago. I do not deny that there are grey areas in his tenure as the head of the state government, but hey, if members of the so-called oppressed community still live in the state, and not just live but prosper then doesn't it speak for itself ? This man has proven to me that he is deserving of the trust and power invested in him and is capable of bringing the nation back on its feet, no matter what his personal faults may be. But more than anything else, he's made good on the 13 years of power in the state and has proven to me that he deserves a shot at leading the country. He deserves the chance to make good on his promises to the nation. And he's made me believe that he is the leader that this seething mass of humanity known as India seeks to bring it at par with the world. Unlike the boy-man, he has a voice and thoughts of his own which he is not afraid to show to the world and unlike the deserter, I can trust him to not give up when the times get tough and to not sell out on his country.
And so, my vote went to him
Though I hope for his sake and mine that he makes good on his promises to the nation. For if he doesn't then he shall not be given another chance to prove himself. In fact, that might just prompt me to give governance a shot myself.
Till tomorrow, folks!
What a Post !
ReplyDeleteI was lost in the Jungle of words,, those scenes... those historical events ... and what not !
You're so Good at this !
Best wishes !
:)
Good decision :)
ReplyDelete